- LLM applicants:
- JD degree from a U.S. law school or completion of all requirements to practice law in a foreign country
- Official transcripts for all credits leading to the JD degree, which must be earned from a law school approved by the American Bar Association, and must be sent directly from that institution
- Completed application with $50 application fee
- One letter of recommendation (professional or academic)
- International applicants: TOEFL minimum score of 100 on Internet-based exam or 600 on paper-based exam and a transcript evaluation if graduated from a foreign institution. Applicants required to take the TOEFL should request that scores be sent directly to Villanova University (code 2959)
Cost of Attendance
ONLINE LLM TUITION FOR 2020-2021
Cost Per Credit: $1,525
Total Tuition: $36,600
Varies per course. The average cost of course materials for Villanova University graduate tax students is $75 per credit hour.
$50 non-refundable fee
None. The degree can be completed 100% online.
PROGRAM CORE COURSES: 18 CREDIT HOURS (3 CREDITS EACH)
- Survey of Tax
- Taxation I
- Taxation II
- Taxation of Corporations and Shareholders
- Professional Responsibilities in Tax with Research and Writing
- Partnership Taxation
ELECTIVE/SPECIALIZATION COURSES**: 6 CREDIT HOURS (LLM CHOOSE 3 ELECTIVES)
- Tax Procedure
- Wealth Tax
- Taxation of Corporate Acquisitions and Reorganizations
- Employee Benefits
- State & Local Tax: Foundations
- State & Local Tax: Income and Franchise Taxes
- State & Local Tax: Sales and Use Tax
- State & Local Tax: Controversy and Litigation Issues
- State & Local Tax: Advanced Issues in Business Transactions
- International Tax
- Taxation of Trusts and Estates
- Fundamentals of Testamentary Estate Planning
- Charitable Gift Planning
- Accounting of Income Taxes/ASC 740
- Taxation of Real Estate Transactions
- Fundamentals of Lifetime Estate Planning
- Executive Compensation
- Advanced Topics in Employee Benefits
- Advanced Partnership Taxation
- Qualified Pensions & Profit Sharing Plans I
- Qualified Pensions & Profit Sharing Plans II
*LLM students must choose three elective courses from the eight offered.
Disclaimer: Every attempt is made to ensure the information displayed on this page is accurate. However, the information contained herein is not to be considered official. Changes may be made to courses and curriculum requirements. Program requirements along with a brief overview of each course is provided below. Courses and course descriptions are for informational purposes only and are subject to change.
Program Feature: LLM
Semester/Quarter Credit Hours: 24
Required Courses: 9
Core Courses: 6
Elective/Specialization Courses: 3
Fall and Spring Semesters:
Term A = 8 weeks
Term B = 8 weeks
Term A = 8 weeks
Term B = 8 weeks
CORE COURSES (18 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS)
ELECTIVE/SPECIALIZATION COURSES (3 COURSES/6 TOTAL CREDIT HOURS)
Courses and course descriptions are for informational purposes only and are subject to change.
State and Local Tax Certificate
Expand your expertise to include a specialized focus on State and Local Taxation (SALT) to help today’s businesses remain in compliance with continually adapted requirements. Earn a graduate certificate in five courses as a standalone program or in conjunction with your LLM or MT. Courses are taught by leading SALT practitioners and are designed to help tax professionals provide in-demand state and local tax services. Contact an Enrollment Advisor to Learn More.
Estate Planning Certificate
Learn to effectively navigate federal estate and gift tax laws by developing a specialized expertise in estate planning. This graduate certificate explores the intricacies of estate tax through courses that cover wealth tax, trusts, charitable gift planning and more. Earn a graduate certificate in estate planning by completing five courses as a standalone program or in conjunction with your LLM or MT. Graduates emerge with skills to assist individuals and businesses through a range of complex estate tax issues. Contact an Enrollment Advisor to Learn More.
Employee Benefits Certificate
The Employee Benefits Certificate is available to attorneys, accountants, and other highly-qualified professionals. The curriculum focuses on the field of employee benefits law with coursework designed from the practitioner’s perspective and provides students with a comprehensive foundation in the complex federal laws that govern the taxation of employee benefits. Contact an Enrollment Advisor to Learn More.
Important Notice for Online Prospective and Current Students
The following page includes important information regarding the University’s authorization status, students’ responsibilities related to relocation and programs leading to professional licensures, and the complaint process for online students. View Notices for Distance Education Programs (PDF).