John A. Murphy Professor of Marketing & Business Law
Bartley Hall Rm 2053
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085
- BGS, University of Michigan
- MBA, Michigan State University
- PhD, Michigan State University
- Schirmer, Nadine A., Manfred Schwaiger, Charles R. Taylor, and John P. Costello (2018) , “Consumer Response to Disclosures in Digitally Retouched Advertisements.” Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 37 (1), 131-141.
- George R. Franke and Charles R. Taylor (2017), “Public Perceptions of Billboards: A Meta-Analysis,” Journal of Advertising, 46 (3), 395-410.
- Jieun Choi, Charles R. Taylor, and Doo-Hee Lee (2017), “Do Resonant Ads Resonate with Consumers? The Interaction of Wordplay, Regulatory Focus, and Need for Cognition and its Impact on Persuasion,” Journal of Advertising Research, 57 (1), 82-93.
- Charles R. Taylor & John P. Costello (2017), “What Do We Know About Fashion Advertising? A Review of the Literature and Suggested Research Directions,” Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, 7 (1), 1-20.
- Aronté M. Bennett, Stacey Menzel Baker, Samantha Cross, J.P. James, Gregory Bartholomew, Akon E. Ekpo, Geraldine Rosa Henderson, Martina Hutton, Apoorv Khare, Abhijit Roy, Tony Stovall and Charles Ray Taylor (2016), “Omission and Commission as Marketplace Trauma,” Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 35 (2), 280-291.
- Lars Bergkvist and Charles R. Taylor (2016), “Leveraged Marketing Communications: A Framework for Explaining the Effects of Secondary Brand Associations,” Academy of Marketing Science Review, 6 (3), 157–175.
- Sascha Raithel, Charles R. Taylor, and Stefan Hock (2016), “Are Super Bowl Ads a Super Waste of Money? Examining the Intermediary Roles of Customer-based Brand Equity and Customer Equity Effects,” Journal of Business Research, 69 (9), 3788-3794.
- Charles R. Taylor and Shintaro Okazaki (2015), “Do Global Brands Use Similar Executional Styles Across Cultures? A Comparison of U.S. and Japanese Television Advertising,” Journal of Advertising, 44 (3), 276-288.
- Yung Kyun Choi and Charles R. Taylor (2014), “How Do 3-Dimensional Images Promote Products on the Internet?” Journal of Business Research, 67 (10),
- Johnny JiungYee Lee, Michael L. Capella, Charles R. Taylor, Mi (Meg) Luo and Colin B. Gabler (2014), “The Financial Impact of Loyalty Programs in the Hotel Industry: A Social Exchange Theory Perspective,” Journal of Business Research, 67 (10), 2139–2146.
- Marina Puzakova, Hyokjin Kwak and Charles R. Taylor (2013), “The Role of Geography of Self in “Filling In” Brand Personality Traits: Consumer Inference of Unobservable Attributes,” Journal of Advertising, 42 (1), 16-29.
- Minsun Yeu, Hee-Sook Yoon, Charles R. Taylor and Doo-Hee Lee (2013), “Are Banner Advertisements in Online Games Effective,” Journal of Advertising, 42 (2/3), 241-250.
- Shintaro Okazaki and Charles R. Taylor (2013), “Social Media and International Advertising: Theoretical Challenges and Future Directions,” International Marketing Review, 30 (1) 56-71.
- Charles R. Taylor, Matthew Sarkees and Hae-Kyong Bang (2012), “Understanding the Value of On-Premise Signs as Marketing Devices to Businesses for Legal and Public Policy Purposes,” Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 31 (2), 185-194.
- Sophie Hieke and Charles R. Taylor (2012), “A Critical Review of the Literature on Nutritional Labeling: Conceptual and Methodological Directions for Future Research,” Journal of Consumer Affairs, 46 (1), 120-156.
- Eunju Ko, Charles R. Taylor, Heewon Sung, Jooyeon Lee, Udo Wagner, David Martin-Consuegra Navarro, Fanghua Wang (2012), “Global Marketing Segmentation Usefulness in the Sportswear Industry,” Journal of Business Research, (65) 11, 1565-1575.
- Christian M. Ringle, Marko Sarstedt, Rainer Schlittgen and Charles R. Taylor (2012), “PLS Path Modelling and Evolutionary Segmentation,” 66 (9), Journal of Business Research, 1318-1324.
- John C. Kozup, Charles R. Taylor, Michael L. Capella, and Jeremy Kees (2012), “Sound Disclosures: Assessing When a Disclosure is Worthwhile,” Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 31 (2), 313-322.
- Michael L. Capella, Charles R. Taylor and Jeremy Kees (2012), “Tobacco Harm Reduction Advertising in the Presence of a Government Mandated Warning” Journal of Consumer Affairs, 46 (2), 235-259.
- Charles R. Taylor and C. Luke Bowen (2012), “New Developments for Measuring Return on Investment (ROI) for Internet Advertising: Building Toward a ‘Brand Scorecard Approach,” Journal of Advertising and Promotion Research, 1 (1), 9-38.
- Charles R. Taylor, C. Luke Bowen, and Hae-Kyong Bang (2011), “The State of Methodological Practice in International Marketing Research,” Advances in International Marketing, 22 (1), 143-167.
- John B. Ford, Barbara Mueller, and Charles R. Taylor (2011), “The Tension between Strategy and Execution: Challenges for International Advertising Research,” Journal of Advertising Research, 51 (1), 27-41.
- Karen L. Becker-Olsen, Charles R. Taylor, Ronald Paul Hill, and Goksel Yalcinkaya (2011), “A Cross Cultural Look at Corporate Social Responsibility Marketing Communications in Mexico and the United States: Strategies for Global Brands,” Journal of International Marketing, 19 (2) 30-44.
- Shintaro Okazaki, Barbara Mueller and Charles R. Taylor (2010), “Measuring hard sell and soft sell advertising appeals.” Journal of Advertising. 35.
- Taylor, Charles R. (2009), “Editorial: The six principles of digital advertising.” International Journal of Advertising. 28(3).
- Herbert Jack Rotfeld and Charles R. Taylor (2009), “The advertising regulation and self-regulation issues ripped from the headlines with (sometimes missed) opportunities for disciplined multi-disciplinary research.” Journal of Advertising. 38(4).
- Capella, Michael L, Charles r. Taylor,Randall Campbell and Lance Longwell (2009), “Do Pharmaceutical Marketing Activities Raise Prices? Evidence from Five Major Therapeutic Classes> Journal of Public Policy and Marketing. 28(2).
Honors and Awards
- Ivan L. Preston Award for Lifetime Outstanding Contribution to Advertising Research (American Academy of Advertising)
- Flemming Hansen Award for Lifetime Contribution to the Advertising Field (European Academy of Advertising)
- Villanova University Outstanding Faculty Research Award, 2009
- Journal of Advertising, Best Paper Award with Michael Capella, 2008
- Hans B. Thorelli Award for contribution to international marketing
- Charles Slater Award for contribution to macro-marketing
- Fulbright Senior Specialist
- Consortium Faculty, American Marketing Association Marketing and Public Policy Conference
- Consortium Faculty, Society for Marketing Advances
- Congressional Testimony on Outdoor Advertising, May 1986
- Fulbright Senior Specialist.
Advertising; Branding; Consumer Marketing; Marketing; Globalization; International Marketing; International Trade; Public Policy; International Advertising
- Super Bowl Advertising
- International Advertising
- Pharmaceutical Advertising
- Tobacco and Alcohol Advertising
- Marketing to Asian Americans
- Advertising Regulation
- On-Premise Signs and Billboards
- Advertising and Financial Performance
International Marketing, Advertising, Strategic Analysis & Implementation Module II
- General Motors
- Philip Morris USA
- Clear Channel Communications
- Infinity Broadcasting
- Eller Media
- Magic Media
- Dechert, LLP
- Jones Day, LLP
- Sussman Godfrey, L.L.P
- Zoom Media
- Featured speaker:
- European Advertising Academy
- Korean Advertising Society
- Asia Pacific Law Students Association
- International Sign Association
- Outdoor Advertising Association of America, Transportation Research Board
Learn More: Online Master of Business Administration